Emma’s trip to the Northern Territory

From Sunday 21st October – Friday 26th October I was given the opportunity to travel to remote communities of the Northern Territory with the Collingwood Football Club.

We visited 7 different communities were we ran 3 different programs in each school.

For the F-2 children I was in charge of running the “Maggie and Swoop” program – a story about Maggie who loves netball and Swoop a young boy who dreams of being an AFL player. They cross paths and teach eachother all about their chosen sport and become great friends. The main theme of the story is friendship and what being a friend looks like.

For the Grade 3/4 students in the schools my team mate Ash Brazill (AFLW player and Magpies Netballer) took the students through a “side by side” clinic teaching the students the skills of netball and football.

The Grade 5/6 students participated in some AFL testing including the beep test, vertical jump, 20m sprint and agility.

At the end of each session we would all come together and play some games and finish the day with handing out some giveaways (posters, netballs, footballs) and a signing session.

We also partook in some cultural activities in Tennant Creek.

It was an experience of a lifetime and the smiles and gratitude of the students will stay with me for a very long time to come.

Thanks to Fiona who took over the PE program for the week!